Did you know that during the holiday season, the average household waste increases by more than 25%?
That’s A LOT of waste! Whether you are attending a party as a guest, or you are hosting the party, it is important to do your part in being environmentally sustainable during the holiday season.
Here are a few ways to be environmentally sustainable during the holiday season:
Food & Kitchen:
- Consider buying local and organic products
- Use reusable dishware and utensils (glass)
- Use renewable and biodegradable dishware if you are hosting a larger party
- Bamboo dishware and utensils are a great option
- Place a trash and recycle bin for guests to take appropriate action
- Buy snacks and drinks in bulk
- Use Aluminum Foil vs. Plastic Wrap – aluminum can be recycled if it is clean enough
Decorations & Gifts:
- Email invitations – avoid sending paper invitations if possible
- Consider using candles or battery operated lights as decorations
- Use energy efficient lighting
- Buy fair trade or locally made gifts
- Reusable gift bags or paper
- Public transportation
- Carpool with family and friends
We hope these tips will help you waste less and recycle more during the upcoming holiday season. To view more great ideas on ways to be more environmentally friendly during the holiday season, click here.